As we are reading through Mabeth I thought I would give some questions to respond to before we finish reading.
-From what we have read, what do you think Macbeth's tragic flaw is? How has this led to his rise to power? What part do you think it will play as the story moves forward?
*Tragic flaw: A flaw in the character of the protagonist of a tragedy that brings the protagonist to ruin or sorrow.
-Describe what your initial impression of Lady Macbeth is. Point out behavior, personality, and actions which have led you to this initial impression. As we read on how do you think her personality might change?
Remember to leave your name at the end of the comment if you want a grade for this response. The most important thing to remember is the these are YOUR thoughts. If you have any questions make sure and email me or ask me in class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think Macbeth's tragic flaw is ambition. At first, he is perplexed by the witches' prophecy. Then he begins to question their prediction and he begins to realize that he actually desires these titles and powers that are given to him. Macbeth allows his ambition to motivate him to do some very uncharacteristic actions. Macbeth was not the type to committ murder out of ambition until the witches showed him what he could have.
ReplyDeleteI think Lady Macbeth is a very strong, influential women. I greatly admire her ability to persuade others to her cause and impose her ideas on other people. She uses her cleverness to change Macbeth's mind and persuades him to kill Duncan. I think Lady Macbeth will continue to be a very influential character in the play; I don't think she will change very much.
Halli Spraggins
Macbeth's tragic flaw is his blind ambition. Because of this ambition he forces his way into the witches' prophecy via murder and deceit, virtually blind to the second half of the prophecy (that Banquo's family will actually be the heirs). His blind ambition will eventually ruin him (per the elements of a tragedy).
ReplyDeleteI think Lady Macbeth is extremely cold-hearted and guiltless. She killed the king, showing no remorse, and proceeded to chide her husband for his seemingly spineless and cowardly remorse. She is evil. I think the evil will either ruin her (similar to the way a tragic flaw ruins the protagonist) or she will see the error of her ways and express regret for her actions and she will probably still die in the end considering this is a tragedy.
Cheek
Macbeth's main flaw in my opinion is that he lets other people decide things for him. like his wife. he lets her push him around and that's what leads him to kill the king. he was hesistant at first but then he gave into his wife and let her push him around.
ReplyDeleteLady Macbeth is a very sneeky lady. she knows how to get what she wants without having to do much. like killing the kings she got Macbeth to do so she didn't have to because he looked so much like her father. she also seems to have no feeling except greed. she want to kill the king so that macbeth will be king and she can be rich.
Macbeth's tragic flaw is his ambition to fulfill the witches prophecy. Because of his ambition, he has done things that he normally would not do because they are morally wrong. His wife convinced him to kill Duncan because she wants the benefits of Macbeth's power. I think that as the story moves foreword, Macbeth's blind and ambitious acts will catch up with him and cause his end.
ReplyDeleteMy initial reaction to Lady Macbeth is that she is a power hungry, psycho, crazy, selfish, and insane woman who is willing to do anything to get what she wants. She manipulates her husband into killing his own cousin in order to fulfill the witches prophecy, and she causes Macbeth to become selfish. Now all he can think about is doing anything he needs to in order to become king. I think that later in this story, Lady macbeth is going to turn against her own husband due to her selfish nature. She will probably keep showing us how crazy she is through out this story.
Caroline
I believe that Macbeth’s tragic flaw is his concern with the witches’ prophecy. Ever since the first thing came true, he obsesses about making the other come true. This causes him to act irrationally with no discretion from his wife. I think Macbeth will continue to act this way throughout the rest of the play though he might learn in the end that it was not the right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteMy initial impression of Lady Macbeth was that she is mad. She seemed to have selfish ambition by wanting to kill the king but I think she is just very loyal to her husband and wants to do anything she can to make him happy. His want was to become king so she found a way to make that possible for him. I do not think that her personality will change very much at all. She seems to act as if there is no consequence; however, she knows there is a consequence and simply deals with that fact.
Bekah Tomlin
Based on the reading we have done on Macbeth, I believe Macbeth's tragic flaw to be his own ambition. He does immoral things based on faulty information to enable his own success. This has led to his rise in power because the assassination of Duncan allowed Macbeth to become king just as he had wanted. As the play moves forward, Macbeth will probably lose his success rapidly due to his actions. Consequences will follow what he has done to Duncan and what he plans to do to Banquo.
ReplyDeleteLady Macbeth gives the initial impression that she has no compassion. She can do ruthless things in order to get what she desires. The reader can also understand this because of the things she says to Macbeth. She treats him poorly in order to get her plan moving. Her attitude might change as things begin to take a downfall. Perhaps,she will become remorseful or considerate of the things she has done. Lady Macbeth will most likely regret her actions due to severe circumstances they have caused.
Victoria Tindol
I think that Macbeth's tragic flaw is that he is desperate to make the witches prophecy come true and his ambition. These led to his rise in power becuase he killed the king to realize this goal of becoming king. As the play moves forward, Macbeth's ambition will make him kill Banquo so that Banquo's sons will not become kings. His flaws are basically driving him to do all the things he has done since he heard the prohecy.
ReplyDeleteMy first impression of Lady Macbeth was tat she was power hungry. I think this because she is so interested in what the witches said to her husband, and she was the one who origionally wanted to kill the king. As the story continues I believe that she will be the less power hungy of the couple.
I think that Macbeth's tradgic flaw is greed. He hears the witches' prophecies and wants it to happen immediately. He can not wait for it to happen on its own time. He becomes power hungery and wants to be king now.
ReplyDeleteLady Macbeth is also greedy and strong willed. She wants her husband to become king because she will also benefit from it. She gets an idea to kill the king and she sees that plan through. She feels no guilt for what she and her husband have done. I believe that by the end of the story, we will begin to feel the guilt.
Katie Clouse
i think that his flaw is that he lets others make decisions gor him and he is a push over. He would have never killed duncan hadthe 3 witches not said anything to him and if his wife had not manipulated him to do it. at first i thought that lady macbeth was a sweet innocent wife but then i find out that she is manipulative, rude, and very headstrong. she uses peoples weak points to get what she wants from them. she seems like she has no heart. very selfish. i think her personality will will cahnge when she realizes the consequences of her actions.
ReplyDelete*Jaci D. Pittman*
Macbeths trajic flaw is his ambition/greed. They are kinda the same thing because both force him to take the actions he does. He hears of an idea, and because he is greedy he wants to make the power and position. But its his ambition that forces him to take the extreme measures that he did. He has started a vicious cycle that will probably end in death.
ReplyDeleteAt first lady macbeth seemed a very loving and good wife. she was close with her husband and truely cared for him. she seemed very nice and lady like. as the story unfolds, she presents herself as vicous, shrewd, cunning. she plans murder and blames it on others and feels no remorse.
Austin Cole
I believe Macbeth's tagic flaw is his ambition, and his longing for power. This quality has lead him to become King in that even though he was unsure about killing Duncan at first, his greed overcame that guilt. He has such a drive to become King that in the end he will do anything to obtain it. I believe this ambition and greed will end up taking everything away from Macbeth including his wife.
ReplyDeleteAt first, I thought Lady Macbeth was just evil and I thought all she wanted was fame and earthly treasures. She thought Macbeth was cowardly for not wanting to kill the King. She minipulated Macbeth into going through with the plan to kill the King, which was her idea. I believe she will become more compassionate and caring. I think she will feel guilty for killing the King, and I think she will wish they had never done anything.
Leah Robbins
I feel that Macbeth's tragic flaw is his crazing desire to fulfill the witches prophesies and to make sure that it stays true. This has led to his uprising by him making it so by his own actions. I feel that he will try to keep his power stubbernly even if it drives him insane as it seems to be doing in act 3.
ReplyDeleteMy initial reaction to Lady Macbeth was that she was very domineering and powerful. She also seemed a tad crazy with her lust for power when presented to her. She already took control in the plotting of Duncan's murder for instance. I feel that she will be disapointed as she rises to power as we have been reading in act 3 and it seems that Macbeth is now the crazy one and his lady has become more like Macbeth in earlier scenes. So I feel that her personality will drastically change to a less domineering state.
Stefan Bushey
Macbeth's main flaw is that he aloud what the witches said to get in his head. He also allowed his wife into pushing him into killin Duncan. Instead od following his first decision in not killin his king, he went ahead and murdered him, making Macbeth king.After becoming king, he became very greedy and doing anything it took for him to remain king, even by killing Banquo and wanting to kill his son. I beleve we have already seen how his flaws have affected him by not sleepoing at night and seeing Banguo's ghost when mocking him. Macbeth's gulit still follows. I believe we will even more of Macbeth's flaw and how he will have to suffer for his wrong doing.
ReplyDeleteI believe Lady Macbeth is a very aggressive woman who likes to take charge. We see this personality in Act Two(I believe) when she plotts to help her husband kill Duncan. But in ACt Three we begin to see Lady Macbeth's weakness in feeling in guilty and realizing being queen was not as exciting as she thought. Lady Macbeth wanted to kill Duncan more for her husband because she loves him. I believe we will begin to understand her more thoughout the play. Im not sure if she will become more meek or more aggressive because her personality has already changed.
The last one is from Lenora Taylor, sorry I forgot to put my name.
ReplyDeleteMacbeth's tragic flaw is his obsession with the witches prophecy. His obsession with fulfilling the witches prophecy has fueled his rise to power, cause him to do thing's he would normally not do. Macbeth, lke the story said, will eventually be buried too far in his lies to be the man he once was.
ReplyDeleteMy first impression of lady Macbeth was that she had great affection for her husband and that she was a very strong willed person. In the end I think she will become more open to the things she was at first not accepting of. killing people will just be an accepted thing and she will look at it as something that needs to be done in order to get what they want.
Taylor Landeros
When I first heard of Macbeth I thought it was going to be like Beowulf, but after hearing and reading the play I find Macbeth to be a wimp. At the beginning of the play Macbeth is killing the Normans in a fierce battle, but later on in the play he can’t even murder the King, Lady Macbeth has to force/persuade him to do it. I also think that Macbeth reads too much into spiritual things like the witches prophecy. Macbeths personality I feel will become his downfall.
ReplyDeleteBryan Lewis...sorry that it is late again(if u read this feel free to talk to me about it)
I think Macbeth's tragic flaw was trusting the witches' prophecy. Macbeth's trust made him kill all the people in his way so he could get what he wants and become king. I think that Macbeth dies and Malcom becomes king.
ReplyDeleteI think Lady Macbeth is presuring Macbeth to become king so that she can become queen. She helps him figure out a plan to kill Duncan and she is evil. Her personality might change because she thinks that everyone will hate her for being evil.
Chris Macke