Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jan. 19th

Hello Students,

For this first post, add a comment to this thread that responds to 5-6 of the following questions AND the last question.

* What is your name and what would you like to be called? Do you have any embarrassing nicknames? If so, please explain.

* Where are you from? Tell something unusual about your hometown.

* What music do you listen to or what kinds of films do you enjoy? Lists are of course boring, so you might explain what attracts you to specific bands or movies.

* What have you done while at ACS that makes you most proud?

* How comfortable are you on a computer? What do you do most often when online?

* What do you enjoy reading or doing when you have free time?

* What else would your best friend tell about you?

* Do you enjoy traveling or going on long trips? Describe a memorable trip out of the state or out of the country.

* What do you enjoy about English? What do you dislike?

17 comments:

  1. My name is Victoria Tindol. I have had several nicknames included in the following: Toria, V, Tindol, and Vicky T. Most of these resulted from sports I play or names that friends picked up as abbreviations. I like most kinds of music. I mostly listen to pop or country. I like "chick music." My favorite movies are always funny. I like "Wedding Crashers," and "The Hangover." I like most chick-flicks too. While at ACS, the thing that makes me most proud is probably winning state in volleyball. We won state my freshman year and I was lucky enough to be a starter that year. I'm pretty comfortable on a computer. I can usually offer help to anyone who is struggling with something when using one. I normally use the internet for Facebook or sometimes for homework. I like to read novels about adventure, love, anything exciting. In my free time I mostly like to just have fun with my friends. This is always something different but it is never boring. I love traveling. I recently went to Colorado to ski during New Years. In English, I enjoy pushing myself to think beyond what is typical for a teenager to grasp or spend time meditating on. I love literature. However, I do not particularly enjoy grammer. I'll do it, but it's not my favorite. I find it boring.


    Victoria Tindol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Austin Cole. I dont really have any nicknames. I used to have some but the people that called me that all graduated. They called me Fitch as in Abercrombie and Fitch haha.
    Im from abilene. Its got the highest number of churches per capita.
    Im comfortable online. i mostly check facebook and watch youtube videos.
    When i have the o so rare free time, I like hanging out with friends doing something stupid haha. Or playing Call of Duty.
    Traveling is one of my great passions. i take trips all the time. Lately they have all been with friends. Two weeks ago me and 3 of my friends from ACU all took a snowboarding trip to NM. It was by far one of the greatest things Ive done in a while.
    I like alot of things about English. My mom is an English teacher so its kind of inherited. i like that one can learn all kinds of things while getting deeply involved in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Halli Spraggins and I like to be called Halli.
    Im from Chicago, Illinois, but I've been living in Texas for 6 or 7 years now. Something interesting is that I used to live across the street from my grandparents and we would always walk over there to eat.
    I pretty much listen to any kind of music...except country. I greatly dislike country. I LOVE the Harry Potter movies and books...they are the best of all time.
    I am pretty comfortable on a computer. My dad is an IT guy so I know alot about programs and networks and stuff like that.
    I read almost every night before I go to bed. I only read fiction because I would rather read about something that I cannot see in everyday life which is mainly what non-fiction is about.
    I love traveling! I went to Europe in elementary and I plan on going back for my senior trip :) My most memorable trip is probably when I went to the Dallas Mavericks vs. Clevland Cavaliers game with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Catherine Cheek but I go by Katie.
    I was born in Abilene and lived in Abilene till I was two and then we moved to Clyde where I still live. Clyde is too small.
    I went to state in golf last year. That was pretty cool.
    I don't get on the computer too much but I'm comfortable on it. I eBay alot :) and online banking. That's pretty much it.
    I love reading in my spare time. I'll read anything. Dollar bins at BAM are my favorite.
    I like reading in English because I love to read but I dislike when its so hard that I don't understand what is going on. In that case I usually just look online to find summaries or reviews to help guide me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Caroline Campbell. I have no middle name and have never received a nickname that actually stuck, although i have been called Camboo, Turbo, Carebear, etc. I have a name for a reason, so just call me "Caroline" and I'll be happy! I enjoy listening to all types of music, and will be satisfied with about anything that comes on the radio. I really appreciate music by The Beatles, but i also enjoy listening to Top Forty. My boyfriend's mom is a concert pianist who mainly preforms in Europe, so I have learned to appreciate a lot of classical music. I don't like watching movies or television very often because I get extremely bored!! I have to be really interested in something to be able to sit down and stare at a screen for two hours, and that does not happen very often. I have accomplished many things during my ten years at ACS. I am proud of going to Regionals this volleyball season, having membership in the National Honor Society, and having almost completed three years of Mrs. Gilbreth's English class;) This includes learning about Paradise Lost this past week. I am extremely comfortable on the computer. My dad bought me a Mac Book Pro this fall which will come in handy next year when I am at ACU. Online i frequently check my grades, get on facebook, watch videos on youtube, or read about something i am interested in. I don't have much free time, but when I do, i like to spend it working out, cooking, or hanging out with my boyfriend. In english, I really enjoy doing grammar and writing papers. I also like when we read something interesting or something that correlates with scripture such as Paradise Lost. I like this because I already have an idea of what it is talking about and being able to relate it to something I know makes it easier to understand. I dislike English when we read boring things or when we have to read a lot on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Leah Robbins and I do not have any nicknames. I am from Abilene, Texas, and I have lived in the same house my whole life. I listen to country music and I love romantic comedies, although, my favorite movie is Rocky. I am pretty comfortable on a computer. I mostly watch music videos on youtube.I enjoy reading romance stories, and I watch TV. Other than that, school is my hobby. My favorite thing to do is grammar. I usually don't like literature because I do not understand it a lot, but when I do, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Bryan Lewis...and I would like to be called Bryan. I don’t really have any embarrassing names but my girlfriend calls me birdy because I am Woodstock and she is Snoopy =) haha.

    I am from Abilene, TX. Not much unusual here except that it’s Abilene =/

    Well I am not much of a music guy but I will listen to anything and I play a little guitar, but I like action and comedy movies and sometimes I like romantic movies too.

    The thing that I am most proud about from being at ACS was meeting Kirsten Leigh Phillips (my girlfriend)...she went to school at ACS two years ago but now goes to Cisco. We have been together ever since.

    I love the computer, I think I worship it =P but I am not much of a FaceBook/bloger guy I am more of a video game nerd. I love playing video games online and I actually want to be a video game designer when I get out of College.


    I don’t read...really! I hate reading, but I really hope I grow to love it someday, because I have a great imagination but I just get so bored to easily when it comes to words. like I love English literature because I can really see the words come to life when Mrs. Gilbreth reads, but I usually have to space out or look at her in order to do so, because as soon as I start reading along or just look at the words I lose interest, but like I said, I love playing video games online or on the PS3.

    I think my best friend would say that even though I am not much of a people person/want to hang out all the time kind of kid...I will always be right their if they need help or a friend to rely on.

    haha wow I love traveling and so dose my mom. I have gone to Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida six times, and two of those times we drove all the way their and back. But the longest trip I went on was from Abilene, TX to Washington Seattle and then on into Victoria, Canada. We spent about a week in the car driving and going to historical and monumental sites. It was awesome.

    Like I said before I love the literature because I can very easily dive into the character, but I hate grammar and I really think I hate it because I have really bad dyslexia and it’s just hard to understand everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Katie Clouse. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly country. I hate slow songs, so anything else is ok. I enjoy comedies and mystery movies. I like to laugh and I love trying to solve everything before the solution is revealed.
    I would say I am pretty comfortable at computers. I know the basics, which is good, but me and computers don't get along sometimes, and I'm not quite sure what I do to upset them. Most of my online time is spent playing games or looking something up.
    In my free time I like to read, watch movies, or clean. (I'm kind of a neat freak :/)
    My best friends would probably tell you I'm random or that I'm too nice, which I don't believe there is such a thing.
    I love taking trips. Its awesome to just be able to relax, read, and listen to music. The most memorable trip I have been on was my trip to Europe. It was just me and my mom, and we took the night trains so we could sleep on the trains and wake up in a different place every morning. The only bad thing to that was after a while, the cities and museums started to run together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Taylor Landeros . I have a few nicknames including: Goose, T-Goo, landergoose and Tay. I got most of these nicknames 8th grade and freshmen year because no one could pronounce my last name (How they got goose out of landeros, I do not understand).
    I am from Abilene, Texas. Alot of people hate it here because it's boring, but I love this town, boring and all. Abilene is just a cool place, I agree it can be boring at times but people have to be clever enough to make their own fun. It's not Abilene's fault that it's inhabited by boring and un-original people.
    I love comedy movies anD I HATE horror movies. My favorie actor is Patrick swazye, and i love all of his movies espically "Ghost" anD "The outsiders". I also love the little not very popular indie movies, also known as the movies that aren't expected to make much money in the box office.
    In my spare time I love to paint and redecorate things. I like to restore antiques and make them new again by painting them an making them more "trendy".
    My bestfriends woul probally tell you that I talk to much. Everyone thinks im really quiet, but im not when im around the people I feel comfortable with.
    My favorite thing about english is literature. Partly because I get better grades in literature than any other thing we do in class haha and partly because I really enjoy reading. My least favorite thing in english is tied between grammar an writing. I am HORRIBLE at writing, mostly because I never know how to write what im feeling or really trying to say. My hate for grammar is not as deep as my hate for writing but it's still up there. When it comes to grammar I pretty much have the basics but the whole Diagramming sentences and classifying compund, complex and compound-complex sentences KILLS me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Lenora Taylor and i perfer my teachers to call me Lenora. My mother calls me "stick", which is sort for "sticky toes." My aunt, who took care of me during the day when i was a baby, use to scrub and scrub my feet but no matter how much she scrubed, my feet still smelled. So my aunt decided to nickname me sticky toes. I use to not like it, but now I have accepted it(and just so you know my feet do not smell anymore). I am from Dallas, Tx. which is the location where J.F.K was assassinated. I like to listen to "old school" music such as The Temptatiions, Sam Cook, and Ol' Jays. I also like to like to jazz/blues and R&B. I am attracked to anything that has meaning and will hold my attention. I am most proud of my volleyball team going to regionals with a new coach. Many people believed the volleyball team would fall apart with a new coach, but we played as a team and proved them wrong. I feel pretty comfortable on the computer as long as you give me good directions on what you want me to do. I enjoy reading books that I can relate to or learn something from. I also enjoy being around my family and spending time with my friends. My best friend would say Im a easy going person who likes to get along with everybody. I care about others and like to make people laugh. Yes i enjoy traveling and hope to one da travel outside the country. My most memorable trip is when went to Disney World the summer of my freshman year. My whole family went and we enjoyed each others company and the wounderful rides. I enjoy lieturature and being able read "between the lines" and "understand what the author is trying to convey", as Mrs. G. would say. I dislike taking alot of notes in english.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Tabitha Howell. People call me Tabbi, Tab or Dorcus. Dorcus in the bible means Tabitha. Its really embarrassing. I love to be on the computer and i am normally on line looking at my grades. I try to be nice to the middle school. Most of the people in high school are just rude to them. My boyfriend has started me on reading. It is really fun to just sit there and read in my room. My bestfriend would probably tell you that I am not scared to be outgoing. I really like english. It just challangese me. I really just don't like grammer.

    Tabitha Howell

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is Blair Hand. I prefer to go by Blair. I don't have any nicknames.

    I've lived in Abilene since I was 6, but I was origionally from Lubbock. Lubbock is pretty much the same as Abilene (kind of boring), but Buddy Holly is from Lubbock.

    I'm really into the bands like Mayday Parade, Nevershoutnever, and A Day To Remember because they remind me of the summer and Warped Tour. I wait all year for Warped Tour, its pretty much my favorite thing about the summer.
    I like pretty much any movie that were that started out as a book because I like to read.

    I'm really comfortable on the computer. I'm usually on facebook.

    I like all of Jane Austen's books and the Harry Potter books.

    I really love literature in our English class, but I'm not a fan of grammar. It's boring. And I'm not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my name is jaci pittman, dont really have any nicknames. sometimes my friends call me jac.

    The thing that i am mpst proud of that i have done at acs is that our volleyball team made it all the way to regionals this year and we were amazing.

    Im not that comfortable on a computer, i dont really use them for anything other than email, facebook etc.

    i do not like to read.

    I do enjoy traveling. one of the most fun trips I have been on was probably when i went to new orleans with my bestie Blair and her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My name is Rebekah Tomlin.
    Most people just call me Bekah.

    I listen to mostly rock music and pretty much and sub-genre of rock.
    My favorite movies are any of the Brat Pack movies such as The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.

    I am very comfortable on a computer.
    I normally check my Facebook or browse various things for my dad.

    I enjoy reading mysteries, listening to music, and talking on the phone whenever I have free time.

    I enjoy travelling very much and like extended trips. I do not like being in the car for more than about 5 hours at a time though.
    I recently took a trip over Christmas break to visit my dad's family in Arlington with my parents and my boyfriend. I loved getting to see so much of my family since we're all spread out in Texas. Getting to play with my little cousins was probably the most fun I had on that trip.

    My favorite parts about English are Grammar and poetry. I like reading the different ways writers choose to express their feelings.
    I dislike epic poetry because of extended metaphors and having to follow all the different ways to which a single character is referred.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name is Stefan Bushey; however, people often call me Cheeto. I have had this nickname since it was dawned upon me in the seventh grade in Florida. The name just sort of stuck and followed me here to Texas. Now, about half of the people who know me call me by my real name and the other half call me Cheeto. I do not really care which name you choose to call me because I answer to both as if they both are my real name.

    I was born here in good ol' Abilene Texas at the Dyess Air Force hospital. Strangly enough, my brother and I were both born in the same room of the same hospital.

    Being born in Texas, I was raised to listen to country music. However, country was knocked off its' "favorites" slot when I was introduced to classic rock by my dad when I was around ten years old. I now contently listen to pretty much anything as long as I can make out most of the words that each particular band sings. Of course I try to steer away from the vulgarity of some of the more recent songs because, frankly, I'm tired of the same subject that is: sex, murder/violence, and drug/alcohol usage. Each of which usually include a string of foul language and vividly disturbing images. I find these songs lacking in moral and meaning. But aside these songs, I will listen to anything. As for my favorite movies; I have always enjoyed action movies, scary movies, comedy, animated, and pretty much everything else as long as it is not a slasher flick. Slasher movies always seem to be predictable in the sence that everyone but maybe one person dies, and those who die usually were either making out or a little bit more than just making out. They also hardly ever have a good plot or story line. Some of my favorite movies include: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, The Harry Potter series, V for Vendetta, Moon, Star Trek, and many more.

    I have done many things at ACS that make me proud. I usually make good grades, I am on the tennis team (in which I have made to state twice and plan to this year as well), and other things like that. I do; however, feel that my proudest moment at ACS was when I finished my Eagle project. My project was to fix the outdoor chapel area behind the school, in which now looks brand new and amazing.

    I feel that I am pretty computer savy. Recently; however, I only get on to do homework, play games, and occasionally check my facebook.

    I enjoy reading any good book I can get my hands on. Especially mysteries, fiction, and history. I am currently reading The Looking Glass Wars series by Frank Beddor and am enjoying it immensley.

    I really enjoy going on long trips. I am, by now, so used to going on long trips just by the sheer number of long trips I have taken. In fact, this year I will go on a minimum of 6 long range trips, five of which are in a car for more than six or seven hours. Five of these trips are with the ACHS Bible Bowl team. I have taken these Bible Bowl trips for more than three years now and have enjoyed every single one of them. I am very excited for this upcoming year.

    I love the Literature part of English. I enjoy reading the classics and poetry (to an extent). I do not; however, like the grammer part of English, for I have found that I really stink at it. So besides grammer, I really have fun in English.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My name is Christopher Macke and I like to be called Chris. I am from Abilene, TX and I've lived here most of my life. I like to listen to pretty much anything except screamo and stuff like that. Passing my research papers have made me very proud at ACS. I'm pretty comfortable on a computer; I know what I'm doing. I don't read, only when Mrs. G gives me comic books haha. My best friends tell me I'm fun and I love Lebron James way too much. I like going on trips as long as it gets me out of school. My most memorable trip was when I went to go see Lebron James with my two best friends. I like doing grammar, but I dislike literature.

    Chris Macke

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the beginning, I really liked Macbeth. He seemed to someone who had it all together and was in a position to be someone great as he was before he became king. However, as the play went on, Macbeth became entrenched on getting the power that was prophesized for him. He gets so greedy and power-hungry that he feels that he must kill everyone that might even pose a small threat to his throne, which in turn dulls his emotion to pain. So by the end of the play, Macbeth is emotionless, even to the death of his wife and he is still only concerned with keeping his kingship.
    I also enjoyed learning about Lady Macbeth in this play. She seemed to radiate with power and perservierence. However, as the play goes on, she starts to feel the weight of her guilt as so many innocent people die. Lady Macbeth begins to become depressed and expresses her guilt through sleepwalking as shown in her "out damned spot" monologue. She eventually loses it all and commits suicide. I researched into this, and it is most likely possible that she threw herself off of the castle wall.
    Stefan Bushey

    ReplyDelete