Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Blog and the Sorcerer's Stone

If you are like me, it is easy to get wrapped up in your daily life and forget that there are other people actually living outside of Abilene! As strange as it might sound, it is true. I hope each of you has at least heard something about the situation in Haiti. It has been mentioned in pretty much every TV show I have watched the last few weeks, and I have come across it numerous times on the Internet. For this blog assignment I want you to dig a little deeper. Search on the Internet and find an article that either covers the actual event or talks about the relief efforts that are going on. In your comment I want you to give me a paragraph summary of the article. In a second paragraph I want you to respond to article and tell me how you feel about the situation. At the end of your comment I want you to copy and past the link that will take me to the article you read. As always don’t forget your name if you want to receive credit.

Think of this assignment as your soapbox. This blog is a chance to give your opinion. This is your voice. Remember that your grade is based on if you are able to develop an opinion and express it. If you have any questions feel free to email me at yoteach10@gmail.com. Since I did not fill out the questionnaire that was assigned last week feel free to ask me a question and I will try to answer it on the next blog.

Let’s all hope for some snow on Thursday!

12 comments:

  1. Businesses in Haiti are starting back up; however, they are only doing what is possible at this point which seems to be quite minimal: providing water. Workers are scared to work in the factories because of after shock. The Haitians realize that it is time to pick themselves back up. People have been criticizing their president for not being seen much since disaster struck. He claims it is because he has been busy working to make the country better. Brazilian soldiers are helping out in Haiti, and the United Nations is helping to get the people employed again.

    I feel extremely sorry for the unfortunate citizens of Haiti. It is good that so many countries are making efforts the help Haiti get through this hard time. I think things will become easier once the aftershock dies off and structures get rebuilt. I have seen many things around me in the past week where people around me are doing what they can to help out. Money donated to church and even money spent at the concession stand at school basketball games is being sent to help the unfortunate people of Haiti. I hope that when people hear about Haiti it will cause them to make an effort to contribute something to the relief many are trying to provide for this nation.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/world/americas/28haiti.html

    Caroline Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haiti’s earthquake reversed a decades-long provinces-to-capital migration, driving as many as 1 million Haitians from overburdened Port-au-Prince. Haitian officials are now see an opportunity to 'decentralize' the country.
    Port-au-Prince was a very densely populated area with 1/3 of Haiti's 10 million citizens living in the city. The earthquake can almost be seen as an economis blessing in a way because so many people are leaving the city and spreading out into other parts of the country. They are going back to the regions that were originally their homes. Even though these other regions were hit by the earthquake, the Haitians find comfort in being with their families at this time. Perhaps when reconstruction begins and Haiti is rebuilt, the population can be spread out into other regions as well as Port-au-Prince.

    I feel very sorry for the Haitians. They have literally been left with nothing and I'm proud of the way Americans have stepped up to begin helping them. My dad is probably going to Haiti with a church out of Waco. He is an RN and he can provide medical as well as spiritual help if he does go.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2010/0129/Haiti-earthquake-jolts-a-million-city-dwellers-to-head-for-home/(page)/2

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Tuesday, January 12, 2010, a size 7.0 earthquake struck the Haitian captital of Port-au-Prince. In the week following the 7.0 earthquake, several smaller aftershocks occuring measuring at 5.0. The earthquake destroyed many homes, buildings, and took thousands of lives. The devastating effects of this earthquake can be seen in the ash-covered faces of the Haitian pictured on almost every news station and newspaper.

    This recent event has made me truly appreciate some of the small things I take for granted in my everyday life. Even before the earthquake hit, many Haitians had small, dirt brick homes with several families living in very small spaces. I wish that people around the world could have known about Haiti before the earthquake wipped out so much of their civilization. The efforts to rebuild this small, underdeveloped country will have to be tripled in order to get Haiti in a state that they can grow and flourish. I hope that people around the world will continue to help the country of Haiti long after the earthquake's desrtuctions are repaired.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/12/haiti.earthquake/index.html

    Halli Spraggins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Henriette Chamouillet has said that the "urgent phase" in Haiti is over. However, many are still buried under rubble. A teenage girl was recently found in a near death state. Around 800,000 Haitians' homes were destoyed, and 250,000 have already left the capital. People have been giving the Haitians cash as well as food. One source says there are plenty supplies waiting to be taken in to Haiti, but there are not enough ways to transport it all. 80 different distribution cites of water are available to the Haitians. Many children have lost their parents because of the earthquake. 114 million dollars has been donated to help rebuild Haiti.

    I feel very sorrowful for the people of Haiti. I also feel very blessed because it has made me realize how many things I have access to that I don't even think about. I think we can help them by collecting our change together, or volunteering with a local donaing facility. Even though things are extremely bad for Haiti right now, I believe God can use this situation to show His power and love.

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aBsXHF9wMzX8

    Leah Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only has the earthquake alone killed many people in Haiti, but disease is also the cause of many deaths. With medicine supply running dangerously low, many victims cannot get the help they need to survive. Also, many doctors who were living in Haiti have been killed and which has created a problem with a lack of help in administering the medicine they do have. The disease is caused by lack of water or of clean water. Getting water into the places it is needed is a challenge because of everything going on and because of road conditions due to the earthquake. But getting water and medicine is not enough. Even once a people are treated, staying healthy is difficult.

    Rebuilding Haiti is going to be very difficult, but I'm very glad that other countries are doing as much as they can to help out. It's sad that it takes a disaster to unite a nation but that's what has happened.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haiti has been devastated in more ways than one. A severe concern for the Haitians is water. Because of the earthquake, many water tanks have been completely knocked out. Only twenty-eight have survived in Port-au-Prince. Although these few tanks have remained, no local water is being brought to them. A man named Dalebrun Esther has developed a system, which can aid many Haitians in need of water. A couple of large pumps in Cite Soleil and Tabal are the main source for the water supply in this relief effort. $100 can produce five trips to water tanks. Each tank holds 3000 gallons. Each person helped is only allowed one gallon of water a day. This means that with $100, 15,000 people can be helped.

    Unfortunately, many Americans are too selfish to realize that merely sparing $100 dollars for strangers can be beneficial in drastic ways. Too often, people watch the news, give a small comment of sympathy or concern, and forget it ten minutes later. True concerns should be taken into action. This requires time, money, and effort. If every household in the United States took the opportunity to sacrifice some of what they have and give it to these desperate people, a huge impact could be made. I feel that water is the key to healthy living and absolutely vital for the survival of these people. $100 is not too much to give. Every decent person should take some time and find a way that he or she can make a difference.

    http://www.haitiwater.org/news/0110-04_newsletter.php

    Victoria Tindol

    ReplyDelete
  8. On January 12, 2010, Haiti had a massive earthquake with a 7.0 magnitude which reduced their capital, Port-au-Prince, to rubble. Port-au-Prince lacked basic medical service and resources to before the earthquake, but now the city is even worse. Disease is spreading quickly and many are suffering from injuries from the earthquake. Different countries from are sending help to the devastated country, but the country is still far from being in out of trouble. They are still in need of drastic help from other everyone else.

    I think that what Haiti is going through pretty much stinks. They have a lot of health problems becuase of their lack of medical care now, and their capital was destroyed. I think that they need all the help that they can get, and I'm really glad that our school was trying to help out (even if we probably didn't make much of a difference).

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquak

    Blair Hand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two weeks have pasted since the devasating earthquake hit Haiti. It was a normal evening for the people of Haiti when one for the most destroyin earthquakes hit their country. Many people have lost their homes and possession, but most importantly their love ones have died or are still missing. The poorest country in the West Hemisphere has to try and rebulid their Mother Land. When news spread across the world, many countries, including America, came to Haiti's rescue bring medicine and other important necessities. Many of the people do not know where their next meal is coming from and do not know what the future will bring for their country. Now Haiti can try to bring reason in the midst of this terrible chaos.
    I am shocked by the news of Haiti. When I heard about the little boy who was stuck underneath a building for a few day, my mind could not imagine the fear he had wounderind if he was going to die or live. Many days I complain when I had not eaten all day, but after hearing about the people in Haiit who went days without food, I realized I had nothing to complain about. I can not imagine both my mother and father dead, which is the reality many small Haiti children are facing. I have learned to be more grateful for what I have and to think before I complain about my life. My prays goes out to the people of Haiti!!
    www.shnock.com/haiti-earthquake-summary-12901/ - 21 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off I am very sorry that this is late but I had some family issues that came up and I guess it just slipped my mind. I don’t expect to get a passing grade, but I figured I should at lest give my thoughts...

    On Jan. 12, 2010 an earthquake hit Haiti. Over 150,000 have been proclaimed dead. The US is sending over troops and supplies to try and help the civilians caught in this horrible situation.

    Hearing and watching the news and seeing all the poor people crying and morning because there loved ones have died or are dieing was hard for me to watch. Haiti is in a lot of need and I hope that we can help. It is awesome to see how many good people there our in this world that are willing to help such a small country like Haiti.

    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/haiti/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stefan Bushey,
    Very recently, a earthquake devestated the country of Haiti. The earthquake was measured to be a 7.0 on the scale and had multiple aftershocks, in which usually scaled 4.0 or higher. These earthquakes have destroyed the small country of Haiti and has killed at least 100,000 people. The people of Haiti no longer have a home to go to since nearly all of their buildings were destroyed. The U.S. has given a ton of money to these people in hope to help these devestated people; however, it will take a long time until Haiti will ever be "back to normal."

    When I first heard of this catastrophe, I didn't really think much about it. I didn't really care either, that is to say until I heard of the devestation in more depth. My greatest feelings are sympathy toward the people of Haiti and pride for my country for our willingness to give so much to them.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2608313/haiti_earthquake_article_are_a_constant.html?cat=8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Over 300,000 died from this tragic event. And over 1500 workers are trying to rebuild Haiti as we speak. The earthquake hit near the capital of Port-au-Prince and was a size 7.0 on the Richter scale. In all, there have been 70 people rescued out of 300,000; that's not good. 90% of the buildings were destroyed.

    http://usa.humanityfirst.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=143

    Chris Macke

    ReplyDelete